Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bike Riding in Meinong

Bekah and I had both been to Meinong with our respective families, but we thought it would be fun to take a scooter rode trip out by ourselves. One of the things Meinong is famous for is bike riding, so we decided to rent bikes for the day and go exploring. Meinong roads used to be covered in color-coded bike paths, but the old markings were either so old and faded or else paved over that they sadly did not exist anymore. Luckily, the town itself is very small and the surrounding countryside is fairly logical, so we never got too lost. There was one moment, though, where we almost started biking straight up a mountainside, but a local saw us trying to make out a sign, and kindly pointed us in the proper direction (our bikes were far from mountain bikes).












Since living in Kaohsiung, I have done surprisingly little bike riding, considering the amount of bicycles in the country and my love for cycling. This is due to three factors: my scooter is faster and more fun, the heat/humidity makes cycling an unpractical mode of transportation for anyone hoping to arrive at work with dry clothing, and the bikes here are not built for my body type. Back in October, Minghua's PTA council gifted me with a bicycle (which was so sweet of them!). It is foldable, making it great for taking on the MRT. This same feature, though, means that the wheels are about one foot in diameter and the frame is very unstable. I am always afraid I will break it when I ride it! Anyways, the bikes we rented in Meinong were more sturdy, but still built all wrong for me. Even with raising the seat and handle bars, things were still out of proportion. Maybe my torso is too long? We had meant to stay out most of the day, but after less than two hours, my body was ready to quit. Bekah was done too, as the heat was terrible. One thing I am looking forward to this summer is taking my American bike out for long cycling adventures through Illinois cornfields haha.


After buying fresh pineapple from a fruit stand along the road (while I will be upgrading my bicycle, I will sorely miss Taiwan's fruit this summer - nothing compares to it), we set out riding amidst banana and beetlenut trees, through quaint villages and along the mountain ridge. Once we had given up on the bikes, we took a walk around a pretty little lake and even got to listen to some traditional aboriginal music. It was painful. One could hear it from a mile away, and of course, Bekah needed to get up close so as to better savor the experience. I have included a recording of it so that you call all witness the discordance.









No comments:

Post a Comment