Wednesday, May 19, 2010

We have arrived: living the adventure of the Hello Kitty Ferris Wheel


The first week we arrived in Kaohsiung, we were taken to the Dream Mall, the largest shopping mall in the city. On top of this mall, rests the second-largest Hello Kitty ferris wheel in the world. Awesome. I love how that sounds: Kaohsiung has the second-largest Hello Kitty ferris wheel in the world. Which means, there are "at least" two Hello Kitty ferris wheels in the world - perhaps more! In case you have never been to Asia, Hello Kitty is beloved and adored by all age groups and all genders. Her iconic little face gets put on everything, rivaled only by Sponge Bob (Hai Mian Bao Bao!).
For the first couple of months, Hello Kitty Ferris Wheel was a thing to laugh at and mock. Slowly, I began to secretly want to ride it. When I heard that each car has a Hello Kitty cushion inside, I began to earnestly desire a picture of myself with that cushion on the ferris wheel. Yes, it is true - I am developing certain Asian tendencies, such as the overpowering yearning to take pictures with ridiculous "cutesy" things. Each time I had family come to visit me, I would mention the ferris wheel off-hand, demeaning it as childish and eccentrically Asian, secretly hoping someone would see the joke in it all and also want to ride it with me. Alas, no.









Well, this week, Kristin's friend Maddalena is visiting from the States, so we have been entertaining her with wild and crazy adventures. On the list, I suggested Hello Kitty. It was epic. We went late at night, when you can see all the lights from around the city. Maddalena had the great idea to bring Mr. Donut with us for our mid-air snack. Living the dream - Hello Kitty Ferris Wheel - do not miss it on your next vacation to Taiwan.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog post is second in the google list when searching for "largest Hello Kitty Ferris Wheel." Thought you would be proud!

    ReplyDelete